Tuesday's Child: Richard and Jessie
Richard and Jessie are two peas in a pod. They both enjoy swimming, basketball, football, Legos and…
Tuesday's Child is Maryjo Who is Hoping for a Forever Family
Maryjo is happy and fun to be around. She is polite and loves to entertain others. She is …
Tuesday's Child is Shakira
Shakira is an 11 year old girl who enjoys playing outside. She would happily spend her summer days …
Tuesday's Child: Lainey, January 10, 2017
Lainey is a very personable and loving child. She enjoys dressing up, singing, dancing, and playing…
Tuesday's Child: Adriana
Adriana is 14 years old and is always smiling. She likes cats, softball, cooking, band, and music. …
Tuesday's Child: Jaxon
Jaxon is a very sweet child who enjoys fishing and being outdoors. He is very smart and does well …
Tuesdays Child: Dylan
Dylan is a polite young boy in the 3rd grade. He enjoys playing football, baseball and everything …
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What are the steps to adoption?
- Become licensed foster to adopt parent
- Complete the DFPS match process
- Preplacement visits
- Foster for 6 months
Why do I have to foster before I can adopt?
There is a six month waiting period to ensure a good fit for both you and the child, during this time period you are fostering to adopt.
How do I become licensed?
- Find a Child Placement agency that is a good fit for you. There are three locally.
- Pass background check
- Attend 30-40 hours of training
- Home study
Are there any services for adopted children?
Yes! Most children listed on the DFPS website qualify for adoption subsidies. There are also different post adopt services available.
How does a child qualify for a subsidy?
Each child is looked at by DFPS to determine if they qualify. Some of the qualifying factors are: being a part of a sibling group, age or ethnicity.
What are adoption subsidies?
- Healthcare coverage until the age of 18.
- Tuition waiver for state schools.
- Monthly stipend.
- Legal and court fees.
How much does it cost to adopt?
- You can expect some small expenses during the licensing process, this will differ depending upon the agency you choose.
- Court fees and legal expenses are often covered by adoption subsidies, if not one might expect between $1,500 and $2,500 depending upon the counsel chosen.