A small Texoma community is saying goodbye and ringing the final bell ... to close the chapter on 106 years of history. The community of Byers gathered tonight to officially end Byers Independent School District. Doing the honors, former Byers Superintendent Mike Priddy and longtime teacher Judy Wade. On June 25, 1906, George and Walter Byers held a lottery for 100 lots at a cost of 50 dollars per lot, in what is now the town of Byers. The brothers spent that 5- thousand dollars to build the first Byers school building on land they donated. Classes began in the fall of 1907 --- and according to the Texas State Historical Association -- 115 students and two -- yes, two -- teachers were there to get things started. One interesting note --- the original building had an outhouse on either side. Of course, one was for the girls ... the other was for the boys. 106 years is a long time for any school district and we want to congratulate Byers on more than a century of educating kids in Texoma !