Cigarette Eyed as Cause of Iowa Park House Fire

Published 04/17 2014 07:26AM

Updated 04/17 2014 03:56PM

Investigators say a discarded cigarette sparked a house fire in Iowa Park.

Fire Fighters were called to a home in Iowa Park around 4:30 Wednesday in the 2000 block of Peterson Road in Iowa Park. They say by the time they got there, the home was already ablaze.

Sheriff David Duke says the woman living inside the home threw a cigarette into a ceramic pot filled with other cigarettes, and about an hour later, smelled smoke.

Duke says she discovered her porch was on fire and tried to put it out with buckets of water. Duke says by the time crews arrived, the fire had spread to the eaves of the house and the attic.

He says there were two adult and two children inside the home at the time of the fire, but all of them got out safely. He believes the home is a total loss.

Copyright 2016 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

  • Texoma's Home Page
  • KFDX 3 Weather
  • KFDX 3 Sports
  • KFDX 3 Weather
  • KFDX 3 News Instagram
  • TexomasHomepage Mobile App