The blaze broke out in the 900-block of Gordon St.
Fire officials say a passerby saw smoke billowing out of the house and didn't see anybody around, but decided to check the house just in case.
And it's a good thing, too, because not only were people inside, but also 13 dogs.
Danny Rozzell, Vernon FD fire marshal, says, "He knocked on the door and decided to just kick it in. There were two people asleep in there and one person watching tv, and they had no idea it was going on."
All three residents escaped unharmed.
Five of the 13 dogs died in the fire.
The rescuer was sent to the hospital for smoke inhalation and dog bites, but officials say he's doing well now.
Officials are still investigating the cause, but say they think the fire was sparked by an electrical overload.
They say the house is a total loss.
Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.