Six Bodies Found in Cars Submerged in Oklahoma Lake

After decades of heartbreaking mystery, family members of at least 6 people may finally learn why they disappeared north of Texoma.

Last Tuesday, OHP's Lake Patrol Division was testing new sonar equipment at Lake Foss in the Elk City/Burns Flat area and came across two submerged vehicles.

Currently investigators are gathering human remains from what might be a '52 Chevy. Tuesday, remains were also found inside a '69 Camero. So, it appears after more than four decades, two very cold cases are finally closer to being solved.

Tim Porter, a resident of Enid told us, "I got up. I hit the phone. It was like it didn't even ring, and he answered. I cried. He cried. Not ashamed of it. But, it was very... it was something you're not ready for."

After talking on the phone with his father, Tim Porter is at Foss Lake, northeast of Altus, offering his DNA in hopes of finally solving the mystery behind what became of his grandfather, Elk City resident John Alva, and a male and female friend, last seen in her car around 1969.

"If they came back from a dance and pulled in here, which is early Sunday morning, they could have been right here at this location, had car trouble, went to start it. It was always a push start car, three on the column and probably bad brakes on those old cars then. And, maybe went bad to worse. Could have been honest accident. Could have been foul play," Porter said.

Bruce Peoples, Custer County Sheriff, said, "It would have been right off the end of that boat ramp right here about 50 to 100 feet. How deep does it get in that area? About 15 foot of water now."

Sheriff Peoples says what's believed to be a '52 Chevy and a 1969 Camero were pulled up from the extremely drought-stricken shallow and muddy waters of Lake Foss on Tuesday, and it's very possible the Camero belonged to 16-year-old Jimmy Williams.

Jimmy disappeared, along with 18-year-old Thomas Rios and 18-year-old Leah Johnson on the night of November 20th, 1970.

The Sayre teens were supposed to be going to a football game in nearby Elk City, but never made it.

"There's no indication so far of foul play other than this is simply two car accidents that happened a little over a year apart," Sheriff Peoples said.

Now, it's up to the medical examiner's office to identify the remains and determine whether foul play could have been involved.

So, after so many decades of mystery, it appears family members, and investigators looking at left over pieces, and human remains, might finally know what became of at least 6 people who just vanished. The questions that remains, though, is why.

It could take the medical examiner's office many weeks to identify the remains and make a determination on whether foul play was involved.

More Stories

Don't Miss

Latest News

  • Texoma's Home Page

  • KFDX 3 Weather

  • KFDX 3 Sports


  • KFDX 3 Weather

  • KFDX 3 News

  • TexomasHomepage Mobile App