Update: Man Tased By Deputies on 287 has Died

UPDATE at 5:20AM 2/5/15:

The man Wichita County deputies tased Tuesday morning after he refused to get out of traffic on U.S. 287 near Electra has died.

Wilber Castillo-Gongora, a 35-year-old Hardeman County man, passed away Wednesday night.

Officials say Castillo-Gongora was tased after calling police multiple times and running into lanes of traffic Tuesday morning. He became unresponsive and was taken to Electra Memorial Hospital.

The man was transferred to United Regional where before his death, he had been listed in critical condition. 

UPDATE: The man Wichita County deputies tased Tuesday morning after he refused to get out of traffic on U.S. 287 near Electra remains hospitalized in very critical condition.

Officials say the 35-year-old man had called the sheriff's office to report he had run out of gas, then a short time later called again to report a disturbance.

When deputies and DPS troopers arrived on the scene they say the man was upset and behaving erratically and running into the traffic lanes.

When he refused to come back to the side of the road, deputies tased him once and then again when he continued to refuse to follow instructions.

The man then became unresponsive and stopped breathing.

Deputies and first responders performed CPR on the man, and he was first taken to the hospital in Electra and then to United Regional in Wichita Falls.

Texas Rangers and the Sheriff's Office Criminal Investigations Division are investigating the incident.

They also plan to have blood or other lab tests done to determine if he had alcohol or drugs in his system.

The car the man was driving is registered in Sealy, Texas but it's believed the man might have been living in Hardeman County.

A Wichita County Sherriff's Office investigation leads to a man being tased by deputies and road closure on U.S. 287.

It happened a little before 11:30 a.m. on Tuesday when deputies responded to a check welfare call on U.S. 287. When they arrived on scene, deputies say a man inside a vehicle was acting indifferent and agressive with them. Authorities say during an altercation, the man ran into the roadway. After trying to apprehend him, deputies tased him.

Deputy Melvin Joyner says the suspect became unresponsive and deputies on scene conducted CPR to revive him. The man was transported to Electra Memorial Hospital and is now at United Regional seeking treatment.

The situation had traffic backed up on 287 for several hours Tuesday afternoon.

Traffic in the area is now being diverted to Business 287.

More Stories

Don't Miss

Latest News

  • Texoma's Home Page

  • KFDX 3 Weather

  • KFDX 3 Sports

  • TexomasHomepage.com,

  • KFDX 3 Weather

  • KFDX 3 News

  • TexomasHomepage Mobile App