WWII Airborne Demonstration Team Member Dies during Jump

The World War II Airborne Demonstration Team is mourning the loss of a team member.

Officials say he died this week while parachuting, preparing for an open hangar day at Fredrick Army Air Field.

In a statement, team officials say it appears 69-year-old Retired Captain James Yost suffered a heart attack Tuesday night while engaged in jump operations.

However, newspapers in Illinois are reporting the Oklahoma Medical Examiner's Office reported Yost died from blunt force trauma after his parachute malfunctioned.

Yost joined the team in January 2014. He was a member of U.S. Army Special Forces. Officials say Yost was an experienced parachutist, with 36 active duty jumps, and about 10 jumps with the Airborne Demonstration Team.

An open hangar day planned for Saturday in Fredrick will go on as scheduled.

2014 WWII Airborne Demonstration Team Open Hangar Day
6:30 am Gear up and JMPI
7:10 am- 11am Demonstration Jumps (Location: DZ) - Weather Permitting
9:00 am - 2:00 pm Equipment and Uniform Displays in the hanger
2:00pm Wing Pinning Ceremony (A special tribute to Yost will be done during the wing pinning ceremony)

Please Note that Times may Change Depending on Wind conditions Throughout the day: Aircraft Displays Vehicle Displays/Rides Table top equipment displays Jump Videos Parachute Packing and Display Combat Equipment Display Uniform Equipment Display Meet WWII Airborne paratroopers and veterans

For updated information call Sharon Bennett, at 580-305-2289.


It is with sincere condolences and heart felt loss that the WW II Airborne Demonstration team (ADT) acknowledges the loss of friend and team member Captain (Retired) James D. Yost on July 22, 2014. CPT Yost completed his ADT training and joined the team in January 2014. Given his prior service with the U.S. Army Special Forces, Jim was considered a true asset to the team. CPT Yost was an experienced parachutist, with 36 jumps while on active duty and approximately 10 jumps with the ADT.

CPT Yost apparently suffered a heart attack while engaged in jump operations at Frederick Army Air Field in Frederick, Oklahoma on July 22. Notwithstanding the best efforts of medically trained personnel at the drop zone, they were unable to revive Jim upon his landing. He will be missed by his ADT family. “The jump was a standard jump, and well within the safety protocols of the FAA and ADT”, said COL Raymond Steeley, Commander of the ADT. “All FAA and ADT safety protocols were followed in Jim’s jump. The tragedy that occurred was not a result of any protocol breach on behalf of Jim or the team. Jim was a valuable member of the ADT family, and will be greatly missed.”

The Frederick EMT Squad responded and continued CPR and other medical procedures before CPT Yost was transported to Frederick Memorial Hospital, where he was pronounced dead. “I was called by the hospital at approximately 10:00 p.m., and was told by the attending doctor that she had examined CPT Yost and did not observe any trauma or bleeding,” said COL Steeley. “Jim didn’t report to anyone at ADT that he felt ill or otherwise in ill health prior to the jump.”

“CPT Yost will be dearly missed by the ADT family. The team extends its condolences to his friends and family, and requests prayers of comfort,” said COL Steeley.

More Stories

Don't Miss

Latest News

  • Texoma's Home Page

  • KFDX 3 Weather

  • KFDX 3 Sports

  • TexomasHomepage.com,

  • KFDX 3 Weather

  • KFDX 3 News

  • TexomasHomepage Mobile App