Police Blame 'Bizarre Accident' for Death of 17 Dogs

Published 06/23 2014 10:31AM

Updated 06/23 2014 10:33AM

(KPNX) Arizona's Maricopa County Sheriff's Office is investigating an incident in which 17 dogs died while in the care of a Gilbert pet-boarding service.

Officials are calling the deaths a "tragic accident" that happened after one of the dogs chewed through a power cord attached to an air-conditioning unit at the Green Acre boarding business.

MCSO said the dogs died of heat exhaustion, though more details are expected to come as the investigation continues.

It appears at least one of the dogs managed to chew or somehow pierce the home's wall and cut cords that run electricity to that portion of the home, which has multiple AC units.

Read more: http://bit.ly/1l3tjZw

Copyright 2016 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

  • Texoma's Home Page
  • KFDX 3 Weather
  • KFDX 3 Sports
  • TexomasHomepage.com,
  • KFDX 3 Weather
  • KFDX 3 News Instagram
  • TexomasHomepage Mobile App