The Mustangs and Pioneers open with a doubleheader Friday night at 5 and 7 p.m. before batting in another twin bill Saturday afternoon at 1 and 3 p.m.
Records: Midwestern State (23-13, 11-5 LSC); Texas Woman's (24-12, 9-7 LSC)
SCOUTING THE PIONEERS
Texas Woman's are coming off of a four-game sweep of Eastern New Mexico last weekend in Portales. Prior to that, the Pioneers had lost five of six games after dropping three of four to No. 1 West Texas A&M and suffering a doubleheader sweep to No. 7 St. Mary's. Junior first baseman Kendra Sancet spearheads the TWU attack hitting .421 with an LSC-leading 15 home runs while driving in 49 runs. Sophomore left fielder Tealey Farquhar (.390/13 SBS) and senior shortstop Bailey Vrazel (.383/34 SBs) are the table setters for the Pioneers, while senior utility player Katie Hines and freshman third baseman Alyssa Galaz add pop with eight homers each. Senior Brandie Lander is TWU's top option in the circle posting a 16-3 mark with a 2.93 ERA. Lander boasts five shutouts in her 22 starts while striking out 106 batters in 136 innings limiting the opposition to a .237 batting average. Texas Woman's plates 6.9 runs per game and allows 4.7.
ABOUT THE SERIES
Midwestern State owns a 21-10 edge in its all-time series with Texas Woman's which dates back to the 2004 season. The Mustangs took two of three from the defending Lone Star Conference champions last season in Wichita Falls, but the Pioneers took wins in the LSC Postseason Tournament and in the South Central Regional. TWU owns a narrow 7-6 edge over the Mustangs in games played at Pioneer Field.
MSU IN THE NATIONAL RANKINGS
Midwestern State fell out of the National Fast-pitch Coaches' Association Top 25, but continues to receive votes this week. The Mustangs jump into the poll for the first time this season at No. 24 last week.
MUSTANGS VS. NATIONALLY RANKED OPPOSITION
Midwestern State is 3-8 against teams ranked in the NFCA Division II Top 25 this season. The Mustangs split games against No. 6-ranked Valdosta State to open the season, lost two at No. 14-ranked St. Mary's, took two of three against No. 1-ranked West Texas A&M and suffered a four-game sweep to No. 12-ranked Angelo State.
MUSTANGS IN THE NATIONAL STATISTICAL RANKINGS
- The Mustangs rank third in NCAA Division II in home runs per game (1.58), eighth in slugging percentage (.557), 13th in scoring (7.22) and 39th in batting average (.326).
- Senior catcher Kim Jerrick ranks fifth in runs per game (1.35), eighth in home runs (12), 20th in home runs per game (0.35), 33rd in walks (0.68), 43rd in on-base percentage (.529) and 49th in slugging percentage (.782).
- Junior shortstop Katy Vandewater is 20th in home runs (10).
- Junior third baseman Kelley Schaefer ranks eighth with four sacrifice flies.
- Senior catcher Kim Jerrick (52 home runs) needs five homers to overtake former West Texas A&M standout Kim LeComte for the Lone Star Conference's all-time lead in home runs. LeComte hit 56 homers from 2009-12.
- With her next home run, sophomore outfielder Katelyn Vinson will move into a tie for second-place on MSU's all-time home run list with 28. Mallory Mooney (2009-12) and Rachael Jackson (2004-06) also hit 28 career homers for MSU.
- Jerrick needs four stolen bases to become just the third player in MSU history to swipe 50 bases in a career. Elena Bennett had 124 from 2010-13 and NIcki Duff stole 50 from 2009-12.
- Sophomore outfielder Haley Howerton collected her 100th career hit last weekend at Angelo State.
Midwestern State had its season-best nine-game winning snapped last weekend at Angelo State... The Rambelles dealt the Mustangs their longest losing streak of the season -- 4 games... MSU lost four straight for the first time since losing five in a row from March 16-23, 2013 last season... The Mustangs fell two games back of Angelo State in the LSC race at 11-5 and the dropped from first to third place -- also a game back of West Texas A&M (12-4)... The MSU pitching staff of Katlyn Holmes, Kat Batey and Erin Knox combined for a 2.00 ERA allowing 16 earned runs on 53 hits with 29 strikeouts and 13 walks during a MSU's nine-game winning streak... The staff allowed 39 earned runs on 45 hits with 17 walks and five strikeouts good for a 14.89 ERA last weekend against Angelo State... Junior third baseman Kelley Schaefer hit .545 going 4-for-11 with three homers and seven RBIs while slugging 1.455 last weekend against Angelo State... Schaefer recorded her second career multiple homer game Saturday against Angelo State. Her other came against Cameron on April 16, 2013... Senior catcher Kim Jerrick led off Friday night's second game with her 52nd career home run. She needs five more to pass current LSC career record hold Kim LeComte. The former West Texas A&M standout hit 56 from 2009-12... Sophomore outfielder Katelyn Vinson has a homer in each of MSU's last three series and now has five this season...
MSU UNDER BRADY TIGERT
Brady Tigert is in his 11th season at the helm at Midwestern State and is the program's lone head coach since it was resurrected in 2004. The Mustangs have averaged just over 40 wins a year under Tigert, who boasts a 424-193 (.687) record which includes NCAA Division II postseason trips in eight of 10 seasons. MSU finished as national semifinalists in 2011, claimed two regional titles (2010, 2011) and two Lone Star Conference championships (2006, 2007).
Midwestern State hits the road for a non-conference twin bill Tuesday afternoon at Central Oklahoma before playing host to Cameron for a double dip Friday night at Mustangs Park.
Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.