74°F
Sponsored by

Fire at Barwise Junior High Doesn't Stop Classes

Students are safe and fire has been extinguished.
Students at Barwise Junior High arrived to see plumes of smoke billowing from the school Thursday morning.

A fire broke out in one of the school's rooftop air conditioning units around 7:30.

Officials say the fire was contained to the area above the school's library, but none of the books were damaged by smoke or water.
First period started on time, just before 8, and school officials say it's business as usual for the rest of the school day.

"At one point because we had fire on the roof, the battalion chief signaled 102. We we got on scene and saw what we were dealing with we downgraded it back to a one alarm," Wichita Falls Fire Chief Donald Hughes said.

Executive Director of District Operations Scott Morehouse told us, "The fire was contained to the AC Unit on top of the school above the library. We're still looking at the unit itself and the roof to see if there's any structural damage."

Fire officials believe the fire started in a motor in one of the school's rooftop AC units. No word on how much damage the fire caused. School officials say pickup will be at the normal time.
Page: [[$index + 1]]
comments powered by Disqus

Poll

[[viewModel.Question]]

[[result.OptionText]] [[calculateVotePercent(result)]]%
[[settings.DelayedResultsMessage]]
Poll sponsored by