63°F
Sponsored by

Officials say Child Playing with Lighter Sparks Fire that Destroys Home

The fire started at a home in the 1700 block of Polk just before noon Friday.
    Wichita Falls fire officials say an eight-year-old playing with a cigarette lighter started a fire that destroyed a Wichita Falls home.
    The fire started just before noon in the 17-hundred block of Polk.
    A second alarm went out after the first call as firefighters requested more units.
    No injuries were reported.
    Thick, billowing smoke filled the sky over Zundy Jr. High School which is across the street.
    Wichita Falls Fire Marshal David Collins says a young boy was using a lighter to start paper on fire.
    He says flames came in contact with window curtains and the fire spread.
    Collins says the home is a total loss and the homeowners lost about 90 percent of their belongings.
    He also says the family living there was renting the home and does not have renter's insurance.
    The Red Cross is stepping in to help the family with their immediate needs.
Page: [[$index + 1]]
comments powered by Disqus

Poll

[[viewModel.Question]]

[[result.OptionText]] [[calculateVotePercent(result)]]%
[[settings.DelayedResultsMessage]]
Poll sponsored by