Police Find No Evidence Connecticut Gunman Was On Medication

Police Find No Evidence Connecticut Gunman Was On Medication

<span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: arial, sans-serif; line-height: normal; text-align: left; ">Police have found no evidence that the troubled gunman who killed 20 children and six adults in a Connecticut elementary school was being treated with any drugs.</span>

Police have found no evidence that the troubled gunman who killed 20 children and six adults in a Connecticut elementary school was being treated with any drugs that might have tamed the mental illness that authorities believe drove his murderous rage, according to a report.

Investigators searching the home Adam Lanza shared with his mother, Nancy Lanza, seized cellphones, computers and computer games, but found nothing to indicate he was under medication, Hearst Connecticut Newspapers reported. Authorities armed with search warrants are still working to obtain medical records, according to the report. Lanza's parents told friends and divorce mediators that the 20-year-old had Asperger's syndrome, a form of high-functioning autism, but it was unclear if he had ever been formally diagnosed.

Experts say Asperger's would not explain the horrific attack and believe Lanza, who killed his 52-year-old mother before going to the school, suffered other mental problems, including possible personality disorders.

Detectives were scouring cellphone records, text messages, computer records and social network pages, hoping to find clues as to what made Lanza snap.

"They are looking at everything," former FBI agent Robert Paquette told the newspaper group. "They are poring over anything and everything. Was he on meds? Did he go off meds? How was his relationship with his mother? What video games did he play? How often did he play? Where did he learn to shoot? How often did he shoot? ... Forensics are going to tell us who died where and when. What they want to determine is why."

Meanwhile, the children of Newtown, Conn., were back in school Tuesday with the exception of the Sandy Hook School survivors. Newtown High School Principal Charles Dumais, in an email to parents, said schools in the district would open two hours later than usual, with counselors available to students and their families.

"This is a day to start healing," Dumais said.

The fate of Sandy Hook School is unclear, but the children who attended the K-4 school will eventually attend Chalk Hill Middle School, a school that had been mothballed by the nearby town of Monroe. Dozens of rounds are still embedded in the walls, cabinets, closets and floors of the Sandy Hook School, which police say is still an active crime scene.

To read more: 

Page: [[$index + 1]]
comments powered by Disqus