BOWIE (KFDX/KJTL) — A Bowie native earned two Country Music Association award nominations for his Seattle morning radio show.
Cory Fitzner hosts Fitz in the Morning on 98.9 KNUC, and he and the show are nominated for major market personality/show of the year and market radio station of the year.
Cory Fitzner graduated from Bowie High School in 1996.
Fitzner has been hosting the bull since April 2019, and he calls his radio show ‘high school with a paycheck’ and said he’s happy to be recognized for his work.
“Each and every one of us has our own individual problems,” Fitzner said. “My only job in the morning is to get their mind off of every bit of that. If I can do that five minutes at a time then that’s my goal. That’s my win for the day.”
The Bowie High School graduate got his start at 92.9 KNIN and even interned here at KFDX 3 News.
Fitzner has also hosted shows in Houston, Dallas and Oklahoma City.
Broadcast Personality of the Year (Major Market)
- “Angie Ward,” WUBL, Atlanta, Ga.
- “Chris Carr & Company” (Chris Carr, Kia Becht and McKaila Granning), KEEY, Minneapolis-St Paul, Minn.
- “Double-L” (Lois Lewis), KNIX, Phoenix, Ariz.
- “Fitz in the Morning” (Cory Fitzner), KNUC, Seattle-Tacoma, Wash.
- “Paul Schadt & Sarah Lee in the Morning with Producer Geof” (Paul Schadt, Sarah Lee and Geof Knight), WKKT, Charlotte-Gastonia-Rock Hill, N.C.-S.C.
Radio Station of the Year (Major Market)
- KNUC, Seattle-Tacoma, Wash.
- KSCS, Dallas-Ft. Worth, TX.
- KYGO, Denver-Boulder, Colo.
- WXTU, Philadelphia, Pa.
- WYCD, Detroit, Mich.
The CMA announced the nominations Tuesday, Sept. 1, and the award ceremony is scheduled for Wednesday, Nov. 11 at 7 p.m.