After narrowly escaping a fire that destroyed his mobile home Monday afternoon, a Bowie man has his dog to thank.
It started out as just a normal day for Bruce Barker, 64. He was at his mobile home off Maple Road. In Frontier Shores in Bowie with his dog Sprinkles a 6-year-old boxer watching television. Barker and Sprinkles soon drifted off to sleep and that is when a fire broke out forcing Sprinkles to react.
“She jumped out of the chair came over nudged my head and woke me up,” Barker said. “I looked up and there was smoke about halfway down my house so I stood up, I breathed the smoke in and it choked me a little bit so I ran out of the house.”
Barker said if it wasn’t for Sprinkles waking him up, he would have lost more than just his belongings.
“I am grateful to God for her,” Barker said. “She saved my life. If it hadn’t been for her I’d probably be dead. If she hadn’t woke me, I would have caught fire. Been hurt or maimed, or crippled, or dead.”
Barker said he’s not sure how the fire started but he thinks it may have been an electrical fire.
“I think I had a surge and everywhere there’s electricity run, everything by electricity is burnt,” Barker said. “I had a storage shed and it had an add on and it had a compressor there and it melted the compressor.”
Now Barker is able to continue to live his life and enjoy his family and friends all because of man’s best friend.
If you would like to help Barker, click here for the GoFundMe page.