In August 2018, an Oregon man was killed, after crashing into a historic Montague County building. Since then, the county has asked the owner of the building to have it repaired, which hasn’t happened.
After serving the building’s owner with abatement papers, it appears the only option left is to tear the building down.
Construction barrels and a fence surround a building in Montague County at Highway 59 North & Franklin, dating back to the 1880s.
“It’s very dangerous as you can see,” Montague Fire Chief Tommy Fenoglio said.
The building, once an opera house, restaurant and more was damaged in August 2018 when an Oregon man died after crashing his vehicle into the building.
Since the accident, the building’s owner, Mark Chancellor. has been sent three letters informing him he needed to take measures making sure the building was not a hazard. One of those letters was served as Chancellor sat in jail.
Since repairs haven’t been made, Montague County Commissioners met Monday to consider what to do with the building.
“[It’s] 30 days from March 8. Today is day 31,” Montague County Precinct 1 Constable Stefanie Horton said. When asked what happens next, Horton replied: “I believe the commissioners have decided that it’s going to happen Saturday.
Meaning, “They’re going to tear it down,” Horton said.
Although he knows it has to come down, Fenoglio said he wishes the building could stay up at least for sentimental reasons.
“Before the wreck, it was a decent building to have. I had my first restaurant in that building. Everything serves its purpose and everything has to die and go away,” Fenoglio said.
Including long-standing pieces of history.
Texoma’s Homepage attempted to get further details from Montague County Judge Rick Lewis, Commissioner Bob Langford, as well as the building’s owner Mark Chancellor, but they have yet to respond.