FEMA Offering Flood Assistance for Wichita and Montague County Residents

Local News
Huntington Flooding_-6396018163187888507
Wichita and Montague county residents are eligible to apply for individual disaster assistance through FEMA, as a result of the severe storms, tornadoes, straight-line winds and flooding that began May 4.

Disaster assistance for homeowners and renters may include grants to help pay for rent, temporary housing and home repairs, as well as other serious disaster-related needs, such as medical and dental expenses or funeral and burial costs.

Low-interest disaster loans from the U.S. Small Business Administration also are available. 

SBA helps businesses of all sizes, private non-profit organizations, homeowners and renters fund repairs or rebuilding efforts and cover the cost of replacing lost or disaster-damaged personal property. 

These disaster loans cover losses not fully compensated by insurance or other recoveries and do not duplicate benefits of other agencies or organizations. 

Residents and business owners should apply right away with SBA as part of the overall federal disaster recovery process, and not wait for insurance claims to settle.

To check eligibility and apply for FEMA assistance, you can go online or visit their mobile site via smartphone or web-enabled device. 

Applicants may also call 800-621-3362 or (TTY) 800-462-7585 from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. 

Multilingual operators will be available.

Wichita County residents can also visit the FEMA registration intake center until June 17. 

The center is located on the second floor of the Wichita Falls Public Library. 

They will be open Monday-Friday between 8 a.m. and 7:30 p.m. and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.

If you plan to apply for assistance in person, FEMA officials ask that you bring a valid driver’s license, the address and an itemized description of the damage, along with insurance policy numbers and policy coverage descriptions.

Registration only takes about twenty minutes and you are encouraged to register even if you have insurance. 

While FEMA cannot duplicate insurance payments, under-insured applicants may receive help, after their insurance claims have been settled. 

If your home or its contents are damaged and you are uninsured or underinsured, a FEMA inspector may contact you within about 10 days after you apply to schedule a time to meet with you at your damaged home. 

All inspectors carry photo ID that shows they are affiliated with the U.S. government.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Don't Miss

Trending Stories

Report It

Latest News

More Local News