FORT WORTH (KFDX/KJTL) — Testimony has concluded in the capital murder trial of James Irven Staley, III, accused of killing 2-year-old Jason Wilder McDaniel by smothering him inside of his former residence on Irving Place in October 2018.
Following more than eight days of testimony from witnesses called by the State of Texas, represented by Wichita County District Attorney John Gillespie and Prosecutor Lisa Tanner, and a few hours of testimony from witnesses called by Staley’s defense team of attorneys Mark Daniel and Terri Moore, the State and the defense both rested their case on Thursday, March 9, 2023.
After a charge conference between the two counsels on Friday, March 10, the trial is now set to begin closing arguments, first from the prosecution, followed by the defense, and then a final closing of the case by the State of Texas.
A jury of 12 men and women from Tarrant County will decide whether or not Staley will spend the rest of his life behind bars without the possibility of parole following the conclusion of closing statements by the prosecution and the defense on Monday, March 13, 2023.
Digital Reporter Josh Hoggard and Chief Photographer Curtis Jackson have been covering the trial since it began. They will continue their coverage in Fort Worth on Monday, March 13, with a live blog of closing arguments and regular updates on Facebook, KFDX, and KJTL.
An overview of the testimony phase of the capital murder trial of Staley in Auxiliary Trial Room A in the Tim Curry Criminal Justice Center in downtown Fort Worth can be found below.
First Week of Testimony — February 27 thru March 3
- Capital murder trial of James Staley underway in Tarrant County
- Testimony begins in James Staley capital murder trial
- Wilder’s crib wheeled into courtroom on second day of testimony
- Lead detective into Wilder’s death takes the stand
- Defense continues to grill lead investigator into Wilder’s death
- Deleted messages from Staley’s phone read in court
- 911 call, video of Staley assaulting Wilder played in court
Second Week of Testimony — March 6 thru March 9
- LIVE BLOG: Wilder Mcdaniel’s mother testifies in Staley murder trial
- LIVE BLOG: Cross-examination of Amber McDaniel continues
- LIVE BLOG: Testimony continues in Staley capital murder trial
- LIVE BLOG: Crime scene reconstructionist takes the stand
- LIVE BLOG: State, defense rest in Staley capital murder trial
This is a developing story. Stick with Texoma’s Homepage for updates as the capital murder trial of James Staley in connection to Wilder McDaniel’s death takes place at the Tim Curry Criminal Justice Center in Fort Worth, Texas.