October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month, and this weekend is extra special, because Saturday is the Wichita Falls Race for the Cure!
The Race for the Cure series has some very powerful roots; Nancy G. Brinker promised her dying sister, Susan G. Komen, she would do everything in her power to end breast cancer forever.
In 1982, that promise became the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure, and now the series is the world’s largest and most successful fundraising event for the cause.
Most of our lives have been impacted by breast cancer in some form or another, which is why many, like Sherilyn Finch, will take to the streets of downtown Wichita Falls on Saturday.
“It’s an amazing cause to begin with, but I have several people, friends, family that have struggled through breast cancer, so it’s something my husband and I want to participate in,” Finch said.
Women at average risk for breast cancer are recommended to get their first mammogram at age 40, but for some, it’s necessary to start earlier.
“We know that when breast cancer is caught early, not only is it more treatable, there’s a lot more treatment options that are a lot more affordable as well,” Hannah Beaty with Susan G. Komen said. “That’s why you should get screened early, and get screened often, so you can catch it early and defeat the disease.”
Aside from raising money for breast cancer treatment, screenings and research, education is a key part of the event.
“It’s a great way for people to come out and support the cause, but also as a reminder to get that yearly mammogram or screening,” Beaty said.
Each person who walks or runs brings in funds, so those who cannot afford them have access to those services.
“Having never been on that side, but just when I know I have people that support me and encourage me through tough times, I would think it would be an amazing support,” Finch said.
Finch is just one of more than a thousand already registered for the race, and Beaty said they’re expecting even more people to register before it kicks off.
75 percent of proceeds will stay local to be used for funding programs here, and the other 25 percent will go toward national scientific research for a cure.
If you haven’t registered but still want to participate, you can still register Saturday morning starting at 6:30 a.m. at the MPEC.