A Wichita Falls family is urging people to thoroughly check their homes or ones they are leasing after their’s was infested with bed bugs and fleas, forcing them to move out hours after they arrived.
“We just wanted a home for our kids. I didn’t think this would happen,” said April Love.
Love says they were forced to move out of the home they were leasing just 10 hours after moving in. She says the home had black mold on the fridge and in the bathroom, and was infested with bed bugs and fleas.
Love says her son received the bulk of the bites.
“He started itching, he was cranky, upset. So, I changed him and he had nothing but bites all over him.”
In recent years, infestations of bed bugs have been increasing rapidly in hotels and other public places as well as homes.
Local pest control shops say they are spraying for them everyday.
Now Love and her family say they have to start over.
“We have to throw everything away,” said Juan Gander. “We have to start all over again.”
And they say they wouldn’t wish this on anyone.
“I just hope that nobody has to go through what me and my family had to go through,” Love said.
“How many other families have to go through this?” said Gander. “How many other people? And then they won’t speak out because they are afraid to lose their place to live because they don’t have no place to go.”
According to Wichita Falls Health District, it’s important to learn how to recognize bed bugs and the signs of infestation, to help avoid them. And the best way to get rid of a bed bug infestation is to contact a professional.
We reached out to the landlord of the duplexes, she denied these claims.