Two Iowa Park residents hospitalized with carbon monoxide poisoning

Local News

Megan Veitenheimer was set to visit two of her clients in Iowa Park this morning. When she knocked on the door, one of the residents did respond. “But she wasn’t talking normal,” Veitenheimer said.

That’s when she knew something was wrong. She called police and immediately tried to get inside.

“I was knocking on the windows. I was knocking on the door, trying to open the doors, trying to get in through the windows. And I couldn’t get in,” Veitenheimer explained.

Iowa Park police, Fire and Wichita Falls Fire arrived, securing the scene, making sure there was no other potential danger. The assistant Iowa Park Fire Chief said there was a carbon monoxide leak and its source is unknown.

“Odorless, tasteless, colorless, so it’s essentially imperceptible to a human,” said Ferguson-Veresh President Shane Fitzhenry. As Texomans turn their heaters back on, he and fire officials urge caution.

“If there’s any fossil fuel burning appliances in the home whatsoever, they really need to have a carbon monoxide detector,” Fitzhenry explained.

By doing so, what’s odorless, tasteless and colorless has less of a chance of causing a poisoning to turn lifeless. This Iowa Park couple’s story could have turned out so differently if it weren’t a quick-thinking caregiver who made this visit at just the right time.

And on a national level, the American Journal of Emergency Medicine found between 1999 and 2012, carbon monoxide poisoning was the second most common non-medicinal poisoning cause of death.

Heating technicians recommend changing furnace filters on a regular basis. They say to make sure smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are in working order, before ever firing up that furnace.
It’s also a great time to make sure the batteries in detectors are fresh.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Don't Miss

Trending Stories

Report It

Latest News

More Local News