May is a week away and is also the National Motorcycle Safety Awareness month.
Because of that, TxDOT officials are asking motorists to share the road and look twice for motorcycles through a new campaign.
In 2018, 417 motorcyclists were killed in Texas and on average, a motorcyclist dies every day in a crash on Texas roads.
TxDOT officials shared a few tips on how to properly share the road.
- Look twice for motorcycles, especially at intersections.
- Always assume motorcycles are closer than they appear to be and avoid turning in front of an oncoming motorcycle.
- Use turn signals and check blind spots before changing lanes.
- When passing a motorcyclist, move to the other lane and allow a full lane for the motorcycle.
- Always maintain a safe following distance.
- Obey posted speed limits.
Stick with Texoma’s Homepage as we continue to cover the TxDOT Share the Road campaign.