WICHITA FALLS (KFDX/KJTL) — Wichita County Sheriff David Duke was interviewed by Multimedia Journalist PJ Green following a standoff on Turkey Ranch Road.

The standoff began around 1:45 p.m. Wednesday, October 13, in the 5200 block of Turkey Ranch Road near the border of Wichita and Archer County.

According to scanner traffic, an armed man possibly wearing a bulletproof vest said he would shoot officers who came to the residence.

Sheriff Duke said a 911 call for a suicidal subject cutting their wrists originally called first responders from Wichita West Volunteer Fire to the scene, where they stayed down the road after being told the subject was outside with a gun.

Deputies from the Sheriff’s office approached the front of the residence, but they were met with gunfire and called for reinforcements.

“The patrol deputies arrived on scene and set up a loose perimeter around [the property] because he was shooting with an automatic rifle — an AR-15 or an AK-47, I think is what it was,” Duke said.

Duke said that this situation could have ended much worse, but he’s glad that it didn’t.

Early reports were that an armed man, possibly wearing a bulletproof vest was suicidal and saying he would not harm his wife and kids, but he would shoot any officer who came to his residence and that he was willing to commit suicide by cop.

The man was shooting in the direction of law enforcement and even shooting at a sheriff’s office drone. He said six or seven law enforcement units have bullet holes in them.

Duke also said the man has PTSD issues, but those may not have contributed to his behavior today.

“Think there’s more of an issue going on in the house than there was PTSD,” Duke said. “Not trying to denounce that by any means, it could be part of a trigger point of what we had to experience socially in the house.”

After more than an hour, the man allowed his two sons to leave the residence, and then he surrendered to authorities at around 3:20 p.m.

Duke said the man in his mid-thirties spent 4 years in the army, including a tour in Afghanistan.

The man was taken to the hospital for injuries to his wrist that Duke said were there before authorities arrived on scene.

The man will most likely be tried on multiple attempted capital murder charges.

The Wichita County Sheriff’s Office also sent out a press release shortly after the interview. The statement reads:

On Wednesday October 13, at approximately 1:42 pm, Wichita County Deputies responded to the 5200 block of Turkey Ranch Road in reference to a subject that had cut his arm was attempting suicide. Upon Deputies arrival, the subject began firing shots in the direction of the Deputies. Wichita County Sheriff’s Office Special Response Unit, Texas Department of Public Safety, Texas Rangers, Texas Game Wardens and Archer County Sheriff’s Office responded to the scene. Crisis Negotiators from the Wichita County Sheriff’s Office and the Texas Rangers made contact with the subject and began talking to him. After a lengthy negotiation, the subject exited the residence and was placed under arrest. The 34-year-old male was transported to the Wichita County Detention Center and was charged with several counts of Attempted Capital Murder. The incident is under investigation by the Wichita County Sheriff’s Office Criminal Investigation Division.

Deputy Melvin Joyner, Wichita County Sheriff’s Office Community Services Unit