UPDATE: Suspect identified after breaking into home, falling through ceiling

Local News

UPDATE: June 8, 2020, 10:46 a.m.

After a lengthy SWAT situation, A 25-year-old man is behind bars after a break-in and fall through an attic in Wichita Falls.

The incident started after a homeowner said he saw a man with a gun trying to break into his house.

It happened around 7 p.m. Sunday when police were called to a home in the 1700 block of Avalon Place.

The resident said he heard someone trying to get in a window and grabbed his rifle and went to the back of the house and saw a man in a hoodie go through the window with a shotgun.

He remained outside watching his home until police arrived and set up a perimeter.

The SWAT team was called to the scene because the suspect had a shotgun.

After the intruder didn’t communicate with police, the SWAT team went into the home, found the shotgun in the garage and saw evidence he was in the attic.

SWAT officers pulled some of the ceiling apart, and that’s when the intruder fell through the ceiling to the floor.

“We saw evidence he went up in the attic, we went up in the attic and he was hiding in the attic into the house and actually fell through and officers in the room below took him into custody,” WFPD Sergeant Adam Maloney said.

Police have identified the suspect as 25-year-old Raymond Alaniz.

He was taken to the hospital to be checked and then booked into jail.

Police said while there, he made a statement that he did not remember going into the home and the last thing he remembered was waiting for his girlfriend to go get ice cream, then he woke up and it was pitch black and he was in an attic and fell through it.

Alaniz is charged with burglary of a habitation.

WICHITA FALLS (KFDX/KJTL)— A Wichita Falls man was taken into custody after police said he broke into a home and hid in the attic before he fell through the roof late Sunday night.

Sergeant Adam Maloney said they were called by the owner of a home at 1704 Avalon Place about a man with a shotgun breaking into his home.

Officials said the man who broke into the home was 25-year-old Raymond Alaniz.

The Wichita Falls Police Department said they secured the perimeter, but called in the SWAT team due to there being a shotgun in the home, and officers could hear Alaniz still inside the house.

SWAT kicked in the door and observed the shotgun on the ground in the garage with evidence that Alaniz went into the attic.

Officials said the SWAT team was unsuccessful with negotiation techniques and cleared the home with a video robot, and did not see any movement.

Officials said Alaniz was hiding in the attic when he fell through the ceiling and the officers in the room below apprehended him.

According to the WFPD, Alaniz will be charged with bulgary of a habitation.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Don't Miss

Trending Stories

Report It

Latest News

More Local News