WFPD PIO makes miraculous recovery

Local News

What was supposed to be a normal holiday season, quickly took a turn for the worst.

Hughes told us, “As we’re sitting eating, I’m cutting into my food and my right shoulder starts to fell a little funny or feels a little funny to me, and I tell my wife that something doesn’t feel right in my shoulder. Feels a little odd.” 

He said he didn’t pay much attention to it, until the next morning.

“I got up to get ready to go to work and I went to take a shower and I reached over for the shampoo bottle and realized that my grip in my right arm, wasn’t as strong as it could be. I had a weird feeling in my right arm,” he continued to tell us.

Hughes said the feeling quickly traveled to his left arm, “They determined that I had an infection due to some blood work and they thought the weakness was probably a residual of the infection so they gave me some antibiotics and sent me home.” 

But, that was not the end of it. The feeling became even worse the following day before Hughes was admitted to the hospital.

“I had to be lifted into the bed. I had gone from being able to get up and walk myself to the restroom the day before, to actually being in the ER having to use a urinal on the bed because I couldn’t get up,” he said.

Longtime friend and co-worker, Sgt. Harold McClure told us, “We work together but beyond that, we’re close friends and so it’s one thing to see a co-worker in a situation like that or needing help, it’s another thing when you see a close friend.”

Officer Hughes and Sgt. Harold McClure have worked together for 20 years, they celebrated their 20th anniversary in the workforce while officer Hughes was in the hospital. 

Hughes said, “A lot of things actually got me through it. There were some dark days, just not knowing. Definitely the prayers and the support from the community, that was huge.” 

Sgt. McClure continued to say, “When you see one of your fellow officers, one of your fellow brothers and sisters in blue that needing help, you’re going to chip in to help and that was definitely nice to see in this particular case.” 

“There are still things that I can’t do,” Hughes told us, “What I’m really dealing with now, I’m dealing with a lot of weakness, my upper body was affected a lot longer than my lower body.” 

The weakness is not stopping officer Hughes from pushing hard to get back to what he loves the most, protecting and serving the people of Wichita Falls.

To this day, doctors still do not know what happened. They say his symptoms mimicked that of a Guillian-Barre Syndrome, but when tested for it, tests came up negative. 

Officer Hughes is hoping to be able to get back to work within the next month.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss

Trending Stories

Get FREE Text Alerts
Report It

Latest News

More Local News